Thursday 17 July 2014

Nice Things: A Guest Post, A Decision & Some Visitors

There's been some nice stuff happening here lately. Lots of sunshine (yay!), some icecream (yum!) and a few Nice Days Out that I can't wait to blog about and share with you guys - just gotta get those photos edited first (yawn).

Here's some other good stuff from the past couple of weeks...

... I wrote a guest post over at Oh My! Handmade Goodness all about my Nice Days Out - about how enjoyable they've been and how going on them has taught me the importance of scheduling some relaxation and exploration into my working weeks, no matter how long my To Do list might be.

 http://ohmyhandmade.com/2014/small-business-tips/schedule-some-adventure/

... I'm "quoted" in this month's issue of Craftseller magazine, in an article about Social Media. I say "quoted" because the advice credited to me in the piece isn't actually something I said! Ah well, it's nice to have a mention anyway :)

 
 
 

... and I decided to delete most of my Pinterest boards. This doesn't immediately sound like it fits under the heading of "nice things" but after months of thinking that I "should" be using Pinterest but knowing in my heart that it was making me feel overwhelmed and stressed and a bit sad, it feels very nice to have finally made the decision to step back from it and spend my time and energy on things that suit me better.

I'll still be Pinning stuff like tutorials and guest posts from my blog (so if you follow my projects there you can continue to do so) and updating my Nice Day Out boards (mapping the places I've been, because I love being able to do that!) but not much else.

Finally (last but by no means least in the niceness stakes) I've had a couple of lovely visitors...

... a pretty butterfly who landed on the sunny window next to me when I was working on a blog post...


... and a sweet deer who brightened up two Mondays in a row by paying us a visit!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still enjoy pinterest but use it rarely. When I first pinned there was lots to catch up on, but now I don't pin often as I hardly need to - I only pin the things I really love. I have about 4 boards, which do have quite a lot in them but over a long period. I have lovely things on there and occasionally go and look at them, otherwise out of sight out of mind. I see people with hundreds of boards literally and that does seem to be difficult to manage. I don't like classifying things so with a couple of exceptions - knitting and crochet boards - I don't bother. I like an eclectic mix. I'm only interested in pinning arts and crafts for one. I'm not sure how pinterest could cause me any stress.
Sara

Polly said...

That's rather odd about the "quote", but everything else sounds good! And oh my goodness the deer, it's so beautiful and adorable! I'm slightly obsessed with deer so I think if I'd had one as a garden visitor I would have squee-ed for rather a long time!

http://thankfullga447 said...

Always enjoy your blog - I don't go to pinterest that often but if you are on it I will follow you. Love the deer.

Silly Little Sheep said...

Lavender-smelling deer!!!! :) That is so wonderful! I moved to Woking almost two weeks ago and we get foxes and squirrels here. It's very nice to do gardening and suddenly have squirrels run and squeak above your head.

Bugs and Fishes said...

Sara - The actual stuff I pin was lovely, but I found that constant stream of things a bit overwhelming! Plus as a designer seeing so many awesome things made by other people can be a bit intimidating / not great for my confidence - like this cartoon: http://society6.com/gemmacorrell/the-perils-of-being-an-illustrator-with-access-to-the-internet

Polly - Lots of people contributed to that piece, it must be so easy on a deadline to get quotes from different people muddled up! It's still nice to have a mention :) And yes, there was a LOT of squee-ing here when the deer visited.

Silly Little Sheep - Oh yes we get a lot of squirrels here, we have to have special "squirrel baffles" on our bird feeders to stop them stealing all the birds' food :) We get foxes (and the occasional adorable fox cub) too but we're less pleased to see them because they terrify the cats!