Sunday 17 May 2015

A Springtime Stroll through Henley-on-Thames

After a couple of very busy Nice Days Out, I wanted something a bit more chilled out for my next day off... so I had a lovely long lie-in then took myself and a good book off to Henley-on-Thames.

Henley is quite local to me, but is one of those places I'd never been to before starting on my Nice Day Out trips. Last time I visited it was winter, the river was very high and there was actually a lot of flooding a few days later. This time round spring was in full bloom and the whole town was looking rather lovely. The perfect backdrop for a relaxing day off!

I started at the River and Rowing Museum, which is free to visit with an Art Pass (and how I found out about the Art Pass in the first place - hurrah for museum websites that actually tell you about available discounts).


I've explored the museum before, but wanted to go back to see their current exhibitions - wonderful illustrations by Arthur Rackham, some gorgeous handmade furniture, and a fab collection of photos of artists and craftspeople working in their studios. All good stuff! It was also a joy to revisit the delightful Wind in the Willows exhibit where the story is told with charming models.

I then walked along the river towards the town centre...

 

... enjoying all the riverside sights, including a nesting swan complete with "do not disturb" sign!

 

After lunch I strolled around the town, admiring the old buildings and the assortment of colourful front doors, and popping into lots of bookshops, art galleries and and charity shops along the way.

 

I also called in at the Old Fire Station...

 

... which has been converted into a gallery space, then hosting the local Craft Guild's spring exhibition. Always nice to be able to squeeze in a bit of craftiness to my days out!

Finally, I retired to a cafe with my book for a leisurely cuppa and tasty piece of cake before heading homewards.

5 comments:

Cream Linen said...

Thank you for sharing this stroll around Henley with us.
Have a nice day!
Tina

bairozan said...

I could almost see myself sitting on the bench under the tree,reading a book and enjoying the cool shadow and the view!

Unknown said...

Looks like a lovely day! It's always nice to go out and explore a new place :)

Steph said...

I am honestly jealous :) Can't remember when was the last time I went out for a walk like this. And after this comment guess who's leaving home for another 12h workday ;D

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks for the comments everyone, it's great to be able to share my trips with you all via the magic of the internet xx