Sunday 24 May 2015

Re-Starting a Neglected Project: a Woodland Cushion!

If you're anything like me you've got several works-in-progress that are not so much "in progress" as they are "massively neglected and currently shoved in a box or under the bed gathering dust".  

One of the downsides of blogging is that you've got a public record of exactly when you started all those projects that are sitting round your house still not finished. It can be quite embarrassing to realise just how many months and years have past since you first started making X item with huge enthusiasm... doubly so when you re-start a project and have to blog about it again while admitting just how long you've gone without working on it!

Waaaay back in 2012 I bought some yarn for making a new project. About a year later (Sept 2013) I finally bought the knitting pattern I wanted and started knitting: using the Woodsy Association knitting patterns from Tiny Owl Knits (cute wristlets decorated with woodland animals) to make a knitted patchwork cushion for my mum.


Blogging about my plans for the project, I wrote: "I've got no idea how long it'll take me to get the whole cushion made (I have told my mum that this is a present for her "at some point", could be Christmas or her birthday or maybe even Christmas next year!) but I'm really looking forward to seeing it develop and to stitching all those cute little animal faces" 

Aaaaand here it is, May 2015, and I've really not made much progress. Oops. I am a terrible daughter!

I've (finally) bought the missing shade of yarn that was out of stock when I placed my original order in 2012...


... knitted a few "squares" (they're not actually square but that's what I'm calling them in my head so shhh)...


... and (mostly) finished stitching the first pair of animals...


 ... but there's still a long way to go.

So, I'm resolving to get this finished by Christmas 2015 at the very latest so my mama can finally have some woodland cuteness for her sofa. Wish me luck!

8 comments:

homemade@myplace said...

Brava !!!!!! ….. and so sweet!!!!
xxxxxxx Ale

CarlaK.be said...

oooooh, sooooooo pretty !
Her patterns are so adorable, I just made my daughter the deer with little antlers hat.
Love the patchwork cushion idea, keep on knitting Laura !

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful pattern....I am strongly tempted by a pair of wristlets for myself.

It will be a stunning cushion, well worth waiting for. I too have a cushion with a woodland theme, it was supposed to be for my daughter for Christmas nearly three and a half years ago. It has an embroidered deer on it which I loved doing and which went really nicely. I am a bit perplexed on how exactly to make it into a cushion however, so it has all been neatly parcelled away and I look at it every now and then. I really do have intentions of getting it done very soon. Good luck with finishing your cushion. I am sure your mum will really love it.

bairozan said...

"Works in progress...long neglected...public record" - I know what you mean ;) It is good when an old project is still viable when finished, because some may become so outdated that get trashed :)

Kim Morrison said...

Oh I am in love with those wristlets. I have her book and basically want to make everything in it as well. Can't wait to see how the cushion turns out, it looks like it will be awesome! x

Polly said...

This is a great idea! The badger looks so good, can't wait to see the rest of the animals.

petoskystone said...

You're certainly off to a most cute start!

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm really excited about re-starting this project and will be sure to keep you updated with my progress :)