Monday 21 July 2014

Arranging Squares

As well as stitching together those mini knitted-with-leftover-yarn squares, this weekend I knitted a few larger blanket squares.


(NB most of those were knitted earlier!! I knitted just a couple at the weekend)

These simple garter-stitch squares are my go-to project for when I'm tired and want something super simple to make while watching TV. I can switch my brain off and just knit, knit, knit without having to follow a pattern or even look at my knitting much.

Way back when I was still in my teens I knitted some blanket squares that never became a blanket. After re-discovering them in a suitcase a few years ago I've been sloooowly knitting more squares to match so I can finally turn them into an actual blanket. Well, into two blankets actually as teenage me knitted two sizes of squares (was this deliberate or just teenage me forgetting what size knitting needles I was using? I suspect it may have been the latter!).

The bigger squares (plus added extras) became the "random squares" blanket I finished last year, and I'm currently knitting more of the smaller size squares in assorted bright colours to make up blanket two (next up: these sorbet colours).

I'm quite a slow knitter, especially these days as I can't knit for too long without my hands hurting (boo), but I'm happy to let this project develop slowly. However, now I've got quite a few squares knitted I'm starting to think about how best to arrange the squares. After all this knitting, I want to end up with a non-ugly blanket!

I might go for a random layout like before, but I'm tempted to do a "blocked" design like the one I'm using for my mini squares.


It's a very different effect to the smaller-scale pattern (you can see in the photo below the difference in the sizes of the squares!) but I kinda like it. Hmm... decisions, decisions...

2 comments:

Tumus said...

It's very Tetris-y

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks for those links, Kate! xx

I think part of the problem is that I spend so much of my time these days typing and scrolling on my laptop - will def be looking into some hand exercises/