Thursday 19 May 2016

My Happy Rainbow Blanket: Almost Finished!

Remember my rainbow blanket?

 

I bought the final ball of yarn last month and finally finished knitting the squares last week.

I had two "halves" of the blanket already knitted and sewn together but it was missing three rows of aqua and green.


So, I got to knitting the final green squares...


This is quite a hard shade to capture in photos! It's half way between a spring green and a neon green and it looks lovely and zing-y against the other colours in the blanket.


After many evenings spent knitting in front of the TV (I am not a fast knitter) all the squares were finished. Hurrah!

I laid them all out on the living room floor to plan the final arrangement of colours.


This has been a bit of a "make it up as you go along" project (earlier it was going to look like this, and before that it wasn't even originally intended to be a rainbow blanket!) so I'm especially pleased that it's all worked out well in the end.

Once I was happy with the layout of the squares, the final bit of sewing-up began! I added squares to each side of the blanket then joined the two sections together.


I've been sewing the loose yarn ends in gradually over the months I've worked on this blanket, but there are still lots of ends still to sew in!

 

It's not the most exciting task in the world but I actually find it quite meditative - sometimes a nice simple repetitive task is exactly what you need at the end of a long day. Put your feet up, pop the telly on and stitch stitch stitch...

 

I'm thrilled with how the colours in this blanket look together and can't stop myself from smiling whenever I work on it, or when I look at these colourful photos. Making stuff is always fun, but making something that fills your heart with joy? Just magical.

I'll be sure to take lots of snaps of the finished blanket to share with you guys sometime soon, and I'll also write about how I made the blanket (needle size, stitch, colours used, etc) so you'll be able to make your own happy rainbow blanket if you fancy one :)

6 comments:

Natacha said...

Oh my goodness, what beautiful colours! Love that blanket.
I am currently working on 2 granny squares blankets.

Charlotte said...

so SO beautiful!

verfuchstundzugenäht said...

It is georgeous! Can#t stop looking at the pictures!

Amy at love made my home said...

Beautiful!

Jennifer said...

It looks like such a fun blanket! No way anyone could look at that and not be instantly cheered up. :)

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks guys! I have my fingers crossed for some sunny weather so I can take some pics of it now it's finished, in all its rainbow glory :)